Monday, November 07, 2011

iCloud conversion

Yes it's in Beta, yes it's a risk, but I jumped into iCloud over the weekend. And without suitable wet weather gear, it turned out.

It meant purchasing OSX Lion for an old MBP, a RAM upgrade to cope (well done, Crucial) and transferring HMRC's Basic PAYE onto a Windows 7 PC, but otherwise it went ok. Not the smooth transition Apple's prices should facilitate, but better than the average Windows upgrade.

The main problem? Intermittent calendar entries on my iPad. Sometimes ok, sometimes nothing. WTF?

Google: no help.
Apple website: no help.

The reason I eventually sussed: my iTunes account is not my MobileMe account. The emails IDs they use are different.

Apple says this is ok, but doesn't explain what might happen. In my case my iPad had set up its iCloud account (in Settings) with my iTunes account email, rather than my MobileMe account. It recognised my MobileMe account, though, via my email settings, and this was also set to sync calendar items. This was probably the cause of the iPad calendar app behaving erratically.

The solution? Delete the 'iTunes' iCloud account in the iPad's 'Settings' and create a new one with my MobileMe email address.

I can't be the only person this has happened to. Can I?

No comments: